Wednesday 3 October 2007

The small cost of politeness!

I had a mega errand that I had to do this morning before heading into the workshop. I was already running late leaving the house, and I knew I had to pick up some champagne flutes to make champagne gel candles with today or I wouldn't get the customer's order out in time.

There is only one local shop where I knew I could get hold of them without heading over to the next major town (involving the usual morning traffic hell!) but the trouble is parking around there is a complete nightmare. Anyway, the only place to park was literally right in front of someone's driveway.


I knew I would literally be just two minutes, so out of courtesy I rang the doorbell of the house whose car I had blatantly blocked into their driveway. I apologised for disturbing them at 9am in the morning, and just explained I needed to pop to the shop over the road and that there was nowhere else to park and was it okay to leave my car there for just a couple of minutes. The woman looked so stunned! She said "Thank you, it's okay as I'm not going out anywhere, but thank you so much for actually taking the time to ring the doorbell and ask me." I replied that it was the least I could do and wasn't a problem at all.

It's crazy - something I didn't think twice about doing, probably really made a difference to that woman's day. Even though I was only outside her house for a few minutes, if she'd looked out of her window and seen my car blocking her in, it could have stressed her out and given her a bad start to her day.

Politeness costs nothing - a smile is even cheaper!! Ohh and don't the champagne gel candles look purrrrty!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.