Tuesday 11 March 2008

BT are crap (oh and some other stuff!)

Today was a GOOD day! My friend T popped in for a chat at work and naturally got roped into helping me wick and package a huuuuuge enormous pile of votives while we nattered! I had to wait for the delivery of boxes to arrive before I could actually send anything out, but I am pleased to say that the boxes arrived just after lunchtime, so by the time I left today I'd got around 95% of the delayed orders dispatched so there will be lots of happy customers tomorrow!!

I HATE delaying orders for any reason whatsoever ... it is just unfortunate that recent circumstances over the last couple of weeks have meant it's been unavoidable. Still, I got a LOT done today and certainly by this weekend I will be totally caught up again. Plus, having T's help was fabulous ~ even if it was just for an hour! Bless her heart! T is getting married soon and of course I'll be doing her wedding favours and table decorations! She was excitedly telling me all her plans and it really put a smile on my face to see hers lit up so much! I've never met her fiance, but they used to be together years ago and even though they both moved on and met other people ... they got back in touch again and it was like the love that was always meant to be!

Soooo okay yeah the whole BT are crap bit (well they ARE!!!) UGH the problems I've had with them recently are a whole other story, but basically after resolving the latest problem, I had my account set up on direct debit to try to avoid any future problems. Guess what? It didn't work!

When I was in the workshop on Sunday, part way through the afternoon my internet connection dropped out. I did what I would usually do - check the leads to make sure I haven't accidentally kicked something out of place under the desk ... nope, all fine. Rebooted the computer and rebooted the router ... still no internet connection.

I phoned the BT status update helpline and found that they were having trouble, so thought nothing of it and figured I would wait until Monday. Come Monday I still have no internet connection ... the status helpline says that they are still experiencing technical difficulties, so I GRRRR quietly ... print off the overnight orders at home and take into work with me today. Guess what?

Still no internet connection! I decide enough is enough and I call the tech support helpline to make sure there isn't any other reason. After 20 minutes on hold I get through and am told that my account has been suspended!! DO WHAT? I resist screaming down the phone at the poor unsuspecting operator, but still I am quietly fuming. I am told he has to put me through to billing.

Sooooo after another gawd knows how long on hold, I get through to billing where I'm told that my account is showing as suspended but is definitely active and he even confirmed that they had my correct bank details and that there were no problems with the account!! Yeah right, so WHY DON'T I HAVE A FRIGGING INTERNET CONNECTION????? Seriously - I run an internet based business. If I have no internet connection then I am losing money when things are already slightly delayed anyway! It's NOT GOOD! Well he was no help whatsoever ... his exact words at one point were "there's a screen we can check when accounts are showing inactive which tells us whether they ARE active or not, and yours is active." Ok it may not be verbatim but that was what he was saying.

Billing bloke says I have to go back to tech support because my account is active and is nothing to do with them. After even more time on hold I get back through to tech support who say "what? your account is showing as active and just fine - have you rebooted?"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Have I rebooted?? FFS, I'm not a frigging computer newbie. I know damned well that as I refreshed the browser and it went from an error page to my google homepage that someone there in their little office at BT had pressed a little button that fixed it.

DOUBLE GRRRRRRRRRRR

Anyway!!! After taking full advantage of hub working from home and popping in on a friend for a natter on the way home .... it turned out to be not a bad day after all!

No comments: