Tuesday 18 March 2008

Writing .... lots!!

This is just a real quick short entry because I HAVE to get back to my writing! OMG its going well. It's going almost too well! My creative juices are definitely flowing and I am pretty much spending most of my "spare" time typing away at it.

I started my "writing project" just over two weeks ago and in that time I currently have ... err ... (just checking) 8559 words. I'm pretty damned impressed seeing as each time I sit down to write, I end up deleting a good several hundred words, re-drafting and re-writing!!

Part of it is driving me mad. I KNOW where my story is going and I know how it is going to end ... I just have never been one for patience and it's almost driving me mad not being able to write the meat of the story yet! I've VERY roughly mapped the first three chapters and am on about my eleventy hundredth re-write of chapter one! LOL

I am pleased as punch with the opening paragraph though ... I used sentences that have been in my brain for such a long time that they needed to be written down and that is kind of the way the whole story has shaped up!

It's funny though ... what was originally going to be the end of chapter one has actually ended up being moved to the start of chapter three and I had to re-write pretty much all of the first chapter! I'd realised on a re-read a few days ago that I wasn't really giving the reader enough background on the main character. I have this horrible habit sometimes of just assuming people know what I am thinking!! In real life it's true (yeah I am that transparent!) but writing is different. The reader only knows what you - the writer allows them to know. It's privileged information

It's weird the way it has worked out, but each time I move or change something it just gets better and inspires me more!!

Okay well, yeah, me and "short" blog entries just don't tend to happen huh!!

No comments: