Wednesday 30 April 2008

Is Dee really blogging about politics????

Okay ... this post will either have you nodding in agreement and then going on quietly in your lives .... or filling my comments box with things like "banish ye wicked witch!" Hopefully it will be the former :-)

In true "Dee" style I have the feeling this may be a long post, so grab a drink and get comfy!!!

... I don't normally blog about politics, and in fact it would normally be the LAST thing I'd find myself writing about, BUT, it's polling day tomorrow and it has only been in the last couple of years that I've realised just how much the government affect ME as a person and how much my individual vote counts. I find myself in utter turmoil and this is only the local polls!

The fall in house prices and the screwed up economy has put me personally in a bad place. This is why I want to really have my vote make a difference. I blame recession and the state of the country on the fall in trade for the business -- and I said this years back. People don't have the disposable income that they used to have because the country has gone to the &*!£$. I have a fairly high mortgage compared to the "current" value of my house and although we're not talking negative equity ... let's just say that if prices drop any further or the country goes further into recession ... then - well it doesn't bear thinking about.

I've been trying to talk to my kids about politics - to bring them up knowing that knowledge is power and that they CAN make a difference as individuals ... yet here I am - admittedly fairly ignorant about politics and debating NOT voting tomorrow!! I really wish that politics could be a part of the national curriculum ... I feel like a bad parent because I've realised that I don't know enough about it to actually teach my children about it. Based on some of the research I've done this evening, that will definitely change very soon!!! Maybe if I'd taken an interest in politics in general at a younger age, I would feel more confident in using my vote!!

I think for most people it comes down to voting for who they think is most likely to win, and that is the WRONG reason to vote! Most people simply don't have the time (or inclination!) to look at every single party's referendums or look at their promises, polices and what they plan on delivering. Even then, do their "policies" mean they are worthy of our vote?? It would seriously take every single party leader coming to my front door and personally explaining how they could make MY life and the UK in general any better for me to be really convinced!

One thing I do know is that I do not want Gordon Brown to be PM. Hands up - I voted labour in, and I sat up through the night watching the results come in and I cheered & celebrated that the guy I'd voted to be PM had got in. Problem is - I, like all of you guys - well none of us voted for Gordon Brown did we!! In my own personal humble opinion, Brown is out of his depth and he has surrounded himself with brainless advisors which has made it worth. The incompetence and control freakery all point to a man who just simply shouldn't be in office!

Thing is, if I vote, I want my vote to count and to WIN. It's as simple as that. Why bother voting unless you actually WANT your vote to count?! The gutting thing is that the party I believe WILL get in at the next general election (clue, it's not gonna be Labour!) - well, they won't be the party that I will be voting for. Honestly - again this is just my humble opinion ... but I think the only disputable thing will be the margin of David Cameron's victory.

Damn I can't believe I am blogging about politics!!! Sometimes these things just HAVE to come out though, and my blog is meant to be the place where I spill my guts about the things on my mind!!

I have changed SO much as a person over the last couple of years and that has a LOT to do with the way that I think these days. I know that being a "sheep" – i.e. just following others for the sake of “an easy life” is not the ideal and that the individual really DOES count. My vote matters whether it’s the local polls or the general election!

It's for this very reason that I will be voting GREEN tomorrow.

The Green party represent everything that I believe wholly in! It kind of goes without saying that they represent a greener & more organic way of living and want to reduce our carbon footprints, support renewable energy and affordable housing that doesn’t kick the crap out of our planet’s resources! The Green Party also support small businesses just like me! They want to “help the unique and the irreplaceable local guys to compete against the multinationals” (direct quote) Not just for me, but for local businesses in general. Give me organic & locally produced fruit & veg over imported crap any day!!!

If you are reading this and can't decide which one of the “major” parties to vote for in the local polls, then vote GREEN!
http://www.greenparty.org.uk/ - check it out for yourself. Their policies represent everything I believe in, and even if they don’t make PM, a vote will count!

Okay enough politics for today! LOL

2 comments:

Tony Shill said...

Hi Dee,

I have just read extracts of your blog and especially loved this posting - couldn't agree more. I then found myself hopping from page to page around your sparkly pink e-world and found my self fascinated by every aspect. It was then I realised how I stumbled across your site - we both scrapbook, and er, make hand made cards and er, design websites and love photography and er shoes and er...well the list goes on. So I thought I'd drop you a line from one Cancerian night-owl to another and say, keep up the good work, your sites and your products are all fab and I will be dropping in more often to read your muses!

Andrea Daniels
thescrapbooker.co.uk

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write and your honesty. You put your thoughts and opinions out there without being scary or judgemental. I've bookmarked your blog and will check back often!